Author: HannahFerguson

The Diary Of A Wimpy Kid Penguin Cover

For Tuesdays task, we began using InDesign and started by creating a book cover. To do this, we replicated a Penguin book cover. I really enjoyed this task of learning how to manoeuvre the software and found most of easy to follow along with. I found the top logo of ‘Penguin Books’ the most difficult to create.

I then went on to create my own cover, using the style of the Penguin books. I changed the colour to a purple and chose the book of ‘The Diary Of A Wimpy Kid’ as this was one of my favourite books when I was growing up. I changed the image of the penguin to a black and white one to fit in with the illustrations used within the book. I enjoyed making this, however found that as I exported it into a PDF, the quality of the images were lost. I then also included ‘My Diary’ for comedy to refer to the fact that I was the wimpy kid.

 

Are the Government making change happen?

The word I was given for this task was ‘Government’. To represent it, I chose to draw the Houses of Parliament as I felt they were a visual icon of the government in Britain. As the central buildings for the government in England, I felt this portrayed a strong message. To show opposition to Government. I chose the issue of climate change and the key figure Greta Thunberg. I turned half of the building into money with Gretas face on it. I then wrote the words ‘Any change?’ This was to question whether the government had actually made changes about climate change or whether they were still more concerned about money as changing to climate saving solutions can be expensive. I then used a Gif maker from the App Store to blend my two images.

For someone who likes skateboards and records.

For the ‘Ideal gift’ project, my partner was interested in skateboarding, guitars collecting records. I then chose my random words of ‘shoes’,  ‘clocks’ and ‘bottle’. I began brainstorming 6 different ideas focusing on their interests and my random words. I experimented putting a clock with hands on a guitar front and using a solar powered digital clock on a skateboard. For the word ‘bottle’, I created a guitar shaped water bottle, however felt this may not actually be very practical. To explore the idea of his record collection, I customised a pair of skateboard wheels and the front of a guitar with his favourite record. My final favourite idea that I developed was a pair of shoes with skateboard wheels on. For my final idea, I then also customised the wheels with his favourite record album on. This meant that I had incorporated 2 of his interests and my chosen word of ‘shoes’. I was very happy with how this came out and felt that it was a cool, personalised present. It encouraged out of the boxing thinking and fitting to somebody else’s specifications like a client.

 

 

Broken Narratives- a staircase story

For the project ‘Broken Narratives’ I chose the theme of ‘Staircase’. As the brief stated, the man had an unknown disease. I wanted to create a book that looked as if it was also diseased. To create this, I used glue and tissue to make a 3D textured effect to look damaged and cut open. I then used acrylic paints to show the colours of decay.

On the inside of the book, following the brief of the man being moved downstairs, I wanted to create the effect of stairs falling into an abyss, where that man was lying. To do this, I used my craft knife to cut out a series of different sized squares to look like stairs. I then drew the man at the bottom floor. I also painted the pages black to represent a feeling of hopelessness and painted some stairs that didn’t lead to any particular direction to represent no way out. I enjoyed creating this project and felt that it encourage out of the box thinking.

Initials Monogram

In todays session, we used our initials to create a monogram, experimenting with Futura and Garamond. After experimenting with both, I felt that my initials worked best in the Garamond font. I began to play around with different variations of the letter together. Alongside this, I researched brands that have used a monogram logo and how and where it has worked successfully. I came across the Dior monogram logo that has recently proven to be very popular. I was inspired by this to layer ,y letters over each other. I thought this looked a little dull so I began experimenting with colours.

For my final idea, I mixed in my two experimentations to create a monogram print. I really liked how this turned out and how the colours worked with each other. Next time, I would play around with the positioning of the letters a bit more to ensure they were legible.

 

Things I often overlook

For this project, we were instructed to photograph lettering around the University. From what sounded quite a simple task, it was actually very interesting to see things I often overlook. We often don’t stop to thing why things look the way the do and what the impact that has on us.

In the 2 hours we had to photograph, I walked around campus collecting images of signs, posters and words in the environment. Once the time was up, we were then asked to edit and organise the photos into categories of our choice. I chose to organise them into ‘Instruct’, ‘Direct Information’ and ‘Advertisement’.

I found that the ‘Instruct’ category featured signs with bold colours to catch attention and provide a warning. They also featured verbs to act as strong instructions.