Author: RioWare

command, return

Last week in TY1INT we were given a mini week project to design a cinema leaflet of film listings. The project prompted us to think about the reader and how we could make the experience of reading a cinema leaflet easiest for a range of different users.

By the time I began the project I had already forgotten the shortcut for applying a paragraph style to text in InDesign. And now I’ve finished, I doubt I’ll ever forget it.

This project really helped me get a feel of using InDesign for my own work, outside of technical sessions where help is always at hand. I find that learning this way helps me remember shortcuts and learn handy things about the toolset provided in Indesign and how to use it to create interesting yet useful things.

I didn’t focus on the aesthetics of the leaflet as I wanted to get to grips with using a hierarchy of text in an applied manner. To start off with I found Reading film theatres logo to give the leaflet more of an identity and give myself a guide as to what colours to use. It was fun to see the variation of style you can achieve with a limited colour guide and using only one (or two) typefaces.

After today’s feedback session, I am aware of some errors made in my design that I will look out for in future work, including correct hyphenation, and being aware of separating info on line breaks.  Overall I am quite happy with my outcome and maybe next time would focus on adding more visual identity to the leaflet.

cinema listing v04

 

Emily In Paris

On Friday’s TY1INT practical session, we copied the design of a classic penguin book in InDesign. I found this task reasonably simple to follow and it helped me get to grips with using InDesign for the first time.  I found making the shape at the top of the book most challenging, however, once we went through it a couple more times I managed to get the hang of it. We were then briefed to change some parts of the design and to create a new book cover for a book or film we have enjoyed recently.

Here was my first attempt at the task to change our existing book cover into a different penguin book. – TY1INT PENGUIN03

I have been watching Emily in Paris, a series on Netflix, at the moment and decided to recreate that in the form of a traditional penguin book cover for the task.

My initial idea was to have a silhouette of the Eifel tower as an ‘A’ in the word ‘Paris’. However, as I experimented more with the text alignment, I noticed that the top of the Eifel tower PNG formed the ‘I’ in ‘Emily’ as well. I thought this was a fun way to bring the cover together and tried to make it look as visually pleasing as possible. I also changed the colours in the book to the colours of the French flag.

Overall, I found this task fun and very helpful to get started on InDesign. If I were to do it again, I’d like to break the traditional structure of the book a bit more. However, I do enjoy the subtle differences I have made to encapsulate the essence of the series.

RW

In today’s session with Kim, our task was to create a process of transmogrifying our initials. We had the choice of two fonts: Futura or Garamond.

I began with Futura as I felt it would be easier to practise sketching out my initial ideas. However, I found that with the letters “R” and “W”, the characteristic of the R got lost in the ‘W’, and ended up looking like a ‘P’ – see examples below.

rough sketches and ideas

I then began experimenting with Garamond and found that the serif’s made it easier for the individual letters to be identified when merged together. I focused on creating stencils of my initials to replicate the font before experimenting with them and tracing them on layout paper in different ways.

I found this task interesting yet challenging mainly due to the letters I was working with. I struggled to find a way to find a process of transmogrifying my initials due to the curve of the capital ‘R’ and the angles of the ‘W’.

I did, however, create a series of initials layed out in different ways. I then took my favourite outcome into Adobe Illustrator digitalised it in there.

final outcomes

If I were to do this task again, I’d like to play around with different letters and different fonts. However it has taught me to look at things from a different perspective and pay more attention to detail.

 

“above”, “below” and “straight on”

During Eric’s session on Monday, we were asked to venture outside and photograph examples of typography in the environment that caught our eye. I found the task interesting as it encouraged me to look at typography in a different way. I found myself paying more attention to the use of typography in the environment, how it was positioned, and the material it was made from.

We were given a couple of hours to take our photos before we went back to present three of our favourite outcomes, and discussed them with the group. It was interesting to see how all of our images differed from one another and who photographed similar examples.

We were then asked to edit and organise our images in a method of our choice. I found editing the photos an enjoyable task and decided to organise them based on perspective. I had three folders labelled “above”, “below” and “straight on” and organised them depending on how I had to capture the object.

Here are some of my favourite outcomes from the session.