After initial research into this British Overseas Airway Corporation ticket installment plan brochure which dates back to 1960. The colours used throughout the brochure consist of brown, black and blue. There are san serif and serif fonts used throughout brochure with most of the more important information being bold and in a san serif font, making it more legible and obvious to the reader.

The brochure again hints at when it was dated through the use of predominantly male figures. The wording they use is also very ‘one gender dominant’ the last paragraph where it states ‘every man’. This clearly resembles a time similar to the 60s where women were seen as less than when compared to the man. This can also be seen in the images used where there is predominantly men.






While the colour choice is quite unique, using brown, it does still work effectively. The use of colour does not take away or distract the reader, it does rather the opposite and compliments the brochure. Although the use of colour has been implemented correctly, there are still a few issues that I had when looking through this collection piece. I felt the way that they presented the pricings for the ticket installments could have been presented a lot better than how they were originally. After first looking at the brochure I was hit with instant confusion, the way that the numbers have been presented.

Multiple shades of green

For Sophia’s logo trends project I was instantly drawn to the ‘Multiple shades of green’ theme. I chose this theme as it best resembles me as a person, being quite reserved, relaxed and very chilled. I wanted to show a sense of purity/naturalness in my logo and going off of the images that I had collated for my mood board it felt right to choose nature. I felt that choosing a more natural themed logo would be fitting as it fits with the green scheme and there is also a surge of a more ‘green’ approach to the way we live as people. It started off with a simple idea, by using photoshop tools I was able to duplicate a pattern of leaves which parts of it were then blurred. I then added a font that I found on DaFont, which I used my initials and name in design.


The Great Gatsby

Completing the first task for ‘making a penguin’ was straight forward due to video tutorial. I enjoyed setting the typefaces and manipulating the tracking, leading and the horizontal and vertical scales. I will be able to use this new approach on how to set up words on a page to make using InDesign a much easier process. The part that caused the most difficulty was when making the ‘cartouche’. At times, when trying to manipulate the pen tool I would need to go back and re-adjust slightly. After a while I became accustom to this and the whole process was easier. I would then go on to use these same techniques that I had learnt on my next book cover that I designed.


Penguin Book Cover

The Shining

For my second design, I decided to base my approach around ‘The Shining’ and because of this I have added many nods to the Stephen King novel. I started by recreating the famous carpet that is seen in the hotel, this process was a lot easier than I initially thought it would be. I made the first initial shape and once that was made it was simply a process of copying the pattern. The font used for the title, author and the brief description is a very similar to the one that was used throughout the posters and book covers for the original. Room 237 has also been included. Although there are many nods to The Shining, I have also kept many of the Penguin book cover conventions. The ‘cartouche’ still remains and the original page layout has also been kept the same. I decided to change the penguin logo, on this cover the logo is white making it slightly more legible to the reader but I still feel like this could be improved upon.


Drain Covers and Raised Lettering

I decided to focus on drain covers and raised lettering while out taking photographs. I was interested in the way that the text on the covers had been formed. There is also some signage in this collage so the difference could be seen between the two different types of lettering.

Cambridge Institution

When deciding what brief to choose for Berta’s project I was instantly drawn to ‘staircase’. It was like I had the perfect book to do so, I decided to put my own spin on the project while trying my best to stick to the brief. The front cover is a man looking onto what seems to be nothing, for me this character was at the front of what was the ‘Cambridge Sanatorium’, which is shown from the first two photos.

From there you can see a clean descendance into the 7 floors of the Sanatorium, as you get deeper the darker it gets which is reflective of the on goings. As you get right to the bottom you start to see bars, showing the Sanatoriums darker secrets as it is actually more of a prison then anything else. The book itself is based on slavery so I used this as my reasoning as for why the man is being moved down the ‘hospital’, it is because of his race instead of whether he is ill or not. As a result of this I decided to stick racial slurs right at the bottom of the staircase.

Philippine Skateboard

Tristian was my partner for todays session, the three facts that he gave me were;

  • He is half Filipino.
  • He likes skateboarding and used to do it.
  • He recently got into basketball and enjoys it.

I decided to go with a skateboard as the main idea. The Philippines flag is also incorporated on the board. My random words were Eyes, Bee and Army. I decided to place eyes behind underneath the wheels as both the wheels and your eyes guide you. For the other two words I drew the patterns that most associate with the words.