During this mini project I was drawn to these paper wheel charts, know as volvelle, that where displayed within the collection. These wheels where created to have answers to lots of different things by the different layers of the wheel that spin around, for example the one on my cover picture tells the user about gardening and the best times to be plating different things in your garden. They are often used to calculate different things in a fun and clear manner as you are able to get the answer you want by spinning the wheel. Reinventing the wheel was a book in the collection which gives lots of examples of different wheels for lots of different things all with very interesting designs some where very old and there where also more modern designs displayed within the book.
For my logo design I decided to take a more abstract approach. I started off with my mood board where I collected images that sparked my interest. Most of the images I found had lots of vibrant colours and lots of geometric shapes. My mood board then inspired my logo as I incorporated bold bright colours all throughout. The starting point for my logo was my initials which are done in bubble writing and overlap each other. I then went onto add different shapes all through out the bubble writing.
To experiment with colour I created a few versions of the same design but used different variations of colour and patterns throughout. This allowed me to figure out which version I liked the best, I chose the grey back group logo as my favourite as I like how well all the primary colours stand out from the background.
Although this is only a paper drawing it allows me to see and understand what I would design on the computer having a higher ability to change up features. For example would off my ideas I wanted to try was to have the lettering inside the bubble writing white so it stands out from the colour better.
For my second book cover I used all the similar styles to the original penguin book cover and related to Peter Pan. The first thing I did was change the colour to a green colour that most Peter Pan books are keeping it a solid shade as this is what all penguin book covers are. I then went on to remove the penguin and add a Tinker bell outline to replace it. I was able to do this by inserting a picture from good images then cropping all the back ground out using the snip tool. I then went on to add some more images around the top that frames the penguin book logo. Overall I went for a more simplistic approach as when doing some research all of the penguin book covers where very simplistic and I tried to follow this with an approach of a Peter Pan book.
For this mini project I picked the brief of staircases as I wanted to experiment with different levels within a book and how this manipulation would effect the text.
The first thing that I wanted to do was have two different path ways, the best way to do this was to cut the book in half which I did. I did this as I wanted to represent the two sides one being the severely ill and the other more mild illness. I represented the two sides by two different staircases both going downwards. The first staircase has clean lines that go down in an even manner. The string leading down shows that allow although he has a clearer mind it still isn’t perfect and this is shown as adding this has made the pages much harder to read due to the tension. The other set of staircasaes follows a lot more uneven and different variations of steps. I created this by having every step both a different size and different methods, for example one has negative space within the step and another has lots of texture. This staircase represents the people that are most ill so therefore following this path down wouldn’t be a good experience.
For this mini project I decided to focus on the different perspective of letters in the environment. I focused a lot on different angles of the letters and how this made the type even though they where the same look completely different. I took photos from high, low to each of the sides as well as zooming in and out. To really get to understand how the change in perspective happens. Something that I noticed as I focused on the letter B was how the different font, colour, text size and position all allowed for the same letter to look completely different some many times. I was then able to represent my findings on a document displaying how perspective and different varieties that go into the typography change the meaning and visual.
The three words that I was given where Hockey, travel and chicken nuggets. During my initial designs I designed a portal that was activated when a hockey ball was hit in. I then went on to develop this idea further by including her favourite food into the design, I incorporated this by creating the shape of the portal as the food. I was able to have all three elements mixed into this design as the portal is activated when the hockey balls are hit into the bottom and the portal allows her to travel within seconds to any place she wants.